This month has been a bit of a non-starter photographically speaking. Aside from the fun I had testing the extension tubes it’s been work work work. One of the good things to come out of the extension tube experiments was the rediscovery of the Nifty Fifty which hasn’t had much use at all (I even thought about selling it!),
This was one of a random set I took (most of them were of the dogs) which I quite liked.
The lighting for this one was a veritable mixture, with natural daylight from the right and above, a laptop screen in front of my long suffering model and bounced flash with a diffuser from the 430EX in manual on it’s lowest setting. Aperture was set at f2.5 (@ f1.8 the DOF was a little too shallow), with a shutter speed of 1/25.
If that’s true, then my windows need cleaning or I have no soul. This was another one of those, what shall I do now moments. So I attached the nifty fifty to the 30D, stuck in 24mm of extension tubes and wobbled back and forth in front of the lens with the camera remote in hand. Out of 10 or so shots, this one was the only one nearly in focus.
I guess I’ll be getting bored with the macro shots shortly so will have some “proper” photos up here again before the end of the month !!
More extension tube attempts ended up in the bin this lunchtime. Had plenty of flowery thingies from in the garden, and a couple of things I found laying about indoors.¬† Not the greatest shot in the world, though with the flash off camera¬† I think I’ve got the Depth of Field issues sorted now !
Was going to try a couple of additional ones of this, bouncing the flash to eliminate some of the shadows. Unfortunately, I ate it instead.
Why is it you can never find a snail or a spider when you need one?
Never really had much to do with the Macro disciplines, but have managed to acquire myself a set of extentino tubes which arrived this morning. Had a little play indoors, but was surprised to note that even items that don’t look dusty are actually covered. Will post some of them, once I’ve sorted them out. and cleaned them up.. Later today, I found this little fella, and now appreciate just how hard this is. The DOF is so shallow I may have to invest in a tin of bug killer spray, to make sure they don’t run away. Hopefully, you’ll be able to see an improvement as I post more of these. Also need to figure out a way of attaching the flash to the end of the lens as f2.8 must equate to a Depth of field less than 1mm Need to try more of these.
It’s been a while since I posted any pictures of me, or indeed pictures with me in them. This is partly because I’m usually the other side of the camera, and partly because I’m such an ugly barsteward. I’ve been thinking about a shot like this for ages, and today, finally got round to having a play. The edit was a quick and dirty one as a proof of concept, but I’m quite pleased with the way it turned out under the circumstances.
Set up wise it’s fairly straightforward all you need really is a tripod, but in this case I also used a Speedlight 430EX.
Settings should be manual, this helps to ensure that the exposure is the same for each shot which in turn makes it easier to blend post production. (fortunately it’s a grey day so didn’t need to worry about changes in ambient light as the sun went in and out).
To take the pictures, I set the camera on timer, pressed the button and adopted my poses. OK, was a bit of running about, but hey, I need the excercise.
Once taken the three pictures were imported into Adobe RAW, and all given the same, desaturated treatment.
Then, I opened them all in photoshop, and copied two as new layers into the third one.
Thereafter, it was simply a matter of using the eraser tool to remove the bits I didn’t want and reveal the “me” underneath.
Was all good fun, and I managed to convince the kids that my brothers had popped round while they were at school. Confused the hell out of them as they know that I have no brothers.
Was messing around yesterday evening, trying out some ideas for this months Talk Photography competition.¬† The standard this month is unbeleivably high so I need to up my game considerably (especially after last month’s disappointing entry that may have been a little too out of the box. This shot was achieved by resting the camera
on the sofa, manually focussed on a point at the other end of the room. The aperture was around f22 or f32 with a corresponding shutterspeed of around 10 to 15 seconds. With the camera on Timer, I released the shutter and then swiftly made my way to the other end of the room. I did have mixed results, with this one being on of my favourites.
There we were at Waterside Farm Leisure Centre waiting for the Island Boys Under 11 match to kick off. Suddenly, we smelt smoke, and turned to see that a fire had broken out in the reeds near to the road. Smoke was bellowing acrosss the busy lunchtime traffic and the flames seemed to be spreading quite quickly. Having had to call the Fire Brigade the previous evening to another grass fire over the road I reluctantly pulled out my phone, wondering whether they would think that I was a firestarting photographer with a fetish for men in uniform. Fortunately some-one else had already reported it, and we were assured that a pump was on it’s way.
As I was watching from a prudently safe distance (all thoughts of football now having been postponed by all the spectators and both teams) members of the Canvey Railway and Model Engineering Club proceeded to calmly tackle the blaze with long shovels and buckets of water. All was under control by the time the fire brigade turned up, so they damped down and left.