Week 5 – Who needs Focus – submitted shot.

Again, I found it difficult this week, there are again so many interpretations but I didn’t really want to go for the ‘safe’ approach. The first thing that sprang to mind was to try and get a photo of a sportsman, or student concentrating on the task in hand, focussed if you like. But the usual lack of models and having no time to actually get out and find something to shoot due to work commitments kind of scuppered that. Think it would have been an interesting take, and no-one in the group so far has hit it from that angle. So, leaving that interpretation aside and concentrating on the literal ‘focus’ I went for something a bit more obvious (though in the back of my head, a portrait of an old person reading would have worked much better).

This was a lot more difficult than it looks and whilst I’m quite happy with it, it never really quite came out how I wanted it to.
Ideally, the glasses would have been sharper as well as the text in focus because of the glasses – Could probably have achieved this post production by taking one with both text and glasses in focus and then adding a ‘fake’ blur, but wanted to try and do it in camera.
Think the problem was that my arms just aren’t long enough for the 50mm, Might try later with the 17-50 instead to see if it works better.

Week 5 - I need focus !!

One of the safety shots (the “just so I have something to submit shot”) was this one

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Week 4 – Computers

And the 52 continues, not actually nailed a shot to submit yet, but have a few ideas and managed a couple of conceptual shots very quickly yesterday. to avoid the standard macro shot of the innards of an old PC I think I’ll need a couple of quick photoshop tutorials this week. Concept shots so far are as below with the actual submissions and selected best endeavours will be posted later this week.

Week 4 - Computer.....

This is NOT a finished shot, just a concept tester at the moment to see if my shocking Photoshop skills would be up to a bit of an excercise. This would be Very difficult to get right in camera. Like I said, it’s an idea, not finished and I know that you can see the joins and the blending is rubbish (that’ll be cos I’ve not finished it…..)

Conceptual #2 - Week 4

Week 3 – Colour

Week 3 - Colours

Week 3 has been a slightly disappointing one for me as I had this idea from the outset and haven’t quite pulled off what I had in mind. I mentioned before that whilst this is a fun challenge, my personal aim was to try to push myself outside my comfort zone each week both creatively or technically. so far it’s all turned out OK, but with the shots this week I’m just not happy with what I got compared to what I had in mind. I don’t think it was down to the technical side of things as much as it may have been with my technique. Perhaps I rushed it a little. Perhaps I didn’t prepare properly. I do know that some of the shots were ‘missed’ because of the time it was taking for my flash units to recycle.

The idea was to have a tank of water with different coloured food dye dropped in at the same time. I’m not an octopus and didn’t have a helper to hand so I couldn’t do this. I did notice though that once dropped, the dispersal was fairly slow, so I could have got a few colours in one after the other and still got the shots I wanted (i.e interesting patterns in different colours). That said, I seem to have missed the ‘best’ patterns because my flashes were taking a long time to re-cycle. Not something that’s usually a problem as I tend to have them at lower power than i did for today’s shoot.

I’ve included some shots of the set-up this week if anyone wants to try to have a go themselves at a later date. Should have been fairly straightforward.

Flashed were aligned next to the vase aimed at a white background (both on about half power to assure an even spread with enough light to completely overexpose the background.
Camera was on the tripod, pre focussed about half wat through the vase (I dipped a straw in and focussed on that).
Shutter speed was 1/200 on some and 1/250 on others – That’s the maximum synch speed I get – So exposure was controlled by aperture.

It wasn’t a total fail as I learned a couple of things (about my patience) and how to perhaps improve for another shoot another day.

1) Preparation – Always make sure that all of your batteries are charged before starting
2) Position of lights – These should have been slightly behind the vase I think. This would have made the reflections easier to deal with on the curved vase.
3) Props – A square tank would have been better than a curved vase, reflection and imperfections are much easier to manage if the glass is square on to the camera
4) Props – eye droppers would have worked much better than manually tipping the colouring into the water. I never had any
5) Helpers – Always handy
6) Keep going till you get the shot you want. Whilst there was no real time pressure to end the shoot I stopped before I got the shot I wanted. Should have just kept plugging away till I was happy.

Week 3 - Colours

So, that’s week 3. Would appreciate any constructive crit from you guys as well.

Week 3 - Colours

Let the week 4 planning commence.

In the beginning – My 52 photo challenge – week one

Joined a Fun 52 challenge with the first week being this one. %2 Weeks, 52 Photos all different themes. Not sure whether I’ll manage to stick with it and grab a picture a week but definitely going to give it a crack. The first week’s theme is aptly – Beginning.
Thought I’d struggle with this one and had mostly Eggs in my head, then out of the blue I was inspired.

So, without further Ado, I give you – In the beginning.

In the beginning......

The rest of the groups pictures can be found over on Flickr, the bars been set high from the off with some great images.