I’m on Lonely Street, number fifty three.
Boarded up property,
I’ll probably get pulled down.
Litter all around inside there’s
no sound and no light.
But yo it gets busy at night, People creeping.
Derelicts sneaking to fix. Speaking.
On the way my timbers creaking,
Roof leaking. And bricks coming loose,
knee high in refuse.
But even though I’m a slum,
I’m still of some use.
There was a time when my walls where decorated.
And under my roof children where educated.
But now paint’s faded, windows are all smashed,
a crash in the economy robbed me of my family.
And no strategy, combats negative equity,
so that’s it. Like violence it’s drastic.
I’m freaking, and seeking to be
more than just a house for crack.
Somebody bring my family back.
I’ve had the app and the dongle for a while and other than some time lapse vids of the journey home from work I’ve never actually used it. This week I finally got round to purchasing a 2.5mm to 3.5 mm cable so I can use it to trigger the flash instead of the camera and subsequently started thinking about what I could use it for.
These were a hastily set up test session to try and get the setting for the ‘Bang’ trigger to work – Had a few issues initially whereupon the camera kept snapping away after the noise but after a few tweaks I think I got it sorted. I know that these are a bit rough round the edges, but as test shots I’m quite happy with them. All I need to do now is set something up properly with a decent background (not the shiny sink), replace water with milk (or cream) and swap out the smelly pickled onion for something a little more attractive……
Week 3 has been a slightly disappointing one for me as I had this idea from the outset and haven’t quite pulled off what I had in mind. I mentioned before that whilst this is a fun challenge, my personal aim was to try to push myself outside my comfort zone each week both creatively or technically. so far it’s all turned out OK, but with the shots this week I’m just not happy with what I got compared to what I had in mind. I don’t think it was down to the technical side of things as much as it may have been with my technique. Perhaps I rushed it a little. Perhaps I didn’t prepare properly. I do know that some of the shots were ‘missed’ because of the time it was taking for my flash units to recycle.
The idea was to have a tank of water with different coloured food dye dropped in at the same time. I’m not an octopus and didn’t have a helper to hand so I couldn’t do this. I did notice though that once dropped, the dispersal was fairly slow, so I could have got a few colours in one after the other and still got the shots I wanted (i.e interesting patterns in different colours). That said, I seem to have missed the ‘best’ patterns because my flashes were taking a long time to re-cycle. Not something that’s usually a problem as I tend to have them at lower power than i did for today’s shoot.
I’ve included some shots of the set-up this week if anyone wants to try to have a go themselves at a later date. Should have been fairly straightforward.
Flashed were aligned next to the vase aimed at a white background (both on about half power to assure an even spread with enough light to completely overexpose the background.
Camera was on the tripod, pre focussed about half wat through the vase (I dipped a straw in and focussed on that).
Shutter speed was 1/200 on some and 1/250 on others – That’s the maximum synch speed I get – So exposure was controlled by aperture.
It wasn’t a total fail as I learned a couple of things (about my patience) and how to perhaps improve for another shoot another day.
1) Preparation – Always make sure that all of your batteries are charged before starting
2) Position of lights – These should have been slightly behind the vase I think. This would have made the reflections easier to deal with on the curved vase.
3) Props – A square tank would have been better than a curved vase, reflection and imperfections are much easier to manage if the glass is square on to the camera
4) Props – eye droppers would have worked much better than manually tipping the colouring into the water. I never had any
5) Helpers – Always handy
6) Keep going till you get the shot you want. Whilst there was no real time pressure to end the shoot I stopped before I got the shot I wanted. Should have just kept plugging away till I was happy.
So, that’s week 3. Would appreciate any constructive crit from you guys as well.
Taking photos of bottles is a lot harder than I anticipated. Had an image in mind and never got anywhere near to achieving it with just one off camera flash. Although quite pleased with this one, I think that preparation is essential. I will need to ensure that I set this up properly next time. Could do with a way of modifying the flash for a stripbox type spread of light and a couple of whiteboards around the bottles for fill (Instead of propping the Mac up next to them as I did for this shot).
It’s said that you only get one bite at the apple. Usually along with other such notions as “you only live once”, “life’s too short” and other similar nonsense.
After taking this shot I can categorically and most vigourously refute this as in fact, it took me several bites to get it looking like that.
Didn’t work quite as well as I had in mind, but I did spend less than 5 minutes taking it and less than half of that steam-rollering it through photoshop. I know what needs to be improved with regard to composition and lighting, but given my poor back at the moment, I really couldn’t be pfaffing around with snoots, reflectors and multiple lights (Still have that image in my head for a re-shoot).
First time playing with incense and flashguns with an extremely limited window of playtime. Minimal Post processing applied to these, the differences in colour I’m assuming are down to the different makes of flashgun and the camera auto white balance.