This month has been a bit of a non-starter photographically speaking. Aside from the fun I had testing the extension tubes it’s been work work work. One of the good things to come out of the extension tube experiments was the rediscovery of the Nifty Fifty which hasn’t had much use at all (I even thought about selling it!),
This was one of a random set I took (most of them were of the dogs) which I quite liked.
The lighting for this one was a veritable mixture, with natural daylight from the right and above, a laptop screen in front of my long suffering model and bounced flash with a diffuser from the 430EX in manual on it’s lowest setting. Aperture was set at f2.5 (@ f1.8 the DOF was a little too shallow), with a shutter speed of 1/25.
If that’s true, then my windows need cleaning or I have no soul. This was another one of those, what shall I do now moments. So I attached the nifty fifty to the 30D, stuck in 24mm of extension tubes and wobbled back and forth in front of the lens with the camera remote in hand. Out of 10 or so shots, this one was the only one nearly in focus.
I guess I’ll be getting bored with the macro shots shortly so will have some “proper” photos up here again before the end of the month !!
It’s been a while since I posted any pictures of me, or indeed pictures with me in them. This is partly because I’m usually the other side of the camera, and partly because I’m such an ugly barsteward. I’ve been thinking about a shot like this for ages, and today, finally got round to having a play. The edit was a quick and dirty one as a proof of concept, but I’m quite pleased with the way it turned out under the circumstances.
Set up wise it’s fairly straightforward all you need really is a tripod, but in this case I also used a Speedlight 430EX.
Settings should be manual, this helps to ensure that the exposure is the same for each shot which in turn makes it easier to blend post production. (fortunately it’s a grey day so didn’t need to worry about changes in ambient light as the sun went in and out).
To take the pictures, I set the camera on timer, pressed the button and adopted my poses. OK, was a bit of running about, but hey, I need the excercise.
Once taken the three pictures were imported into Adobe RAW, and all given the same, desaturated treatment.
Then, I opened them all in photoshop, and copied two as new layers into the third one.
Thereafter, it was simply a matter of using the eraser tool to remove the bits I didn’t want and reveal the “me” underneath.
Was all good fun, and I managed to convince the kids that my brothers had popped round while they were at school. Confused the hell out of them as they know that I have no brothers.
If you are a regular visitor, you will know that the old site got battered by delinquent Geeks somewhere in Timbuctoo, and was closed down to stop it spreading malicious code around the planet. You may also remember that the whole thing was exceedingly ugly and needed a re-write anyway. Given that it was initially set up to document the restoration of a 1972 Triumph Spitfire (which never happened) there were a lot of hits on the site that must have felt cheated. This time, it’s (hopefully) more relevant.
I will of course try and recover some of the more amusing posts from the old blog for the sake of posterity but generally speaking, it’s sensible and grown up (ish) hereafter.
Thanks for visiting, and please bookmark me as there will be regular updates.